Amid political allegations, the Union Minister for State for Housing and Urban Affairs Hardeep Singh Puri inaugurated the much delayed ITO Skywalk at W-Point near ITO in Delhi.

Crossing the roads during the busiest hours will not be a problem as the people of Delhi will now be able to walk in the sky above the hustle – with the newly inaugurated skywalk at the W-Point near ITO in New Delhi. The ITO Skywalk was constructed by Delhi’s Public Works Department (PWD) and inaugurated by Puri on Monday afternoon during a ceremony where no Delhi government members were invited. Now that the new skywalk is open for all, walking in the sky above the hustle and bustle of the W-point near ITO is possible.

The skywalk is designed in a way that it seamlessly connects the foot over bridges with common paths to build a mini foot-over sky network that provides smooth movement between Sikandara Road, Tilak Marg, Mathura Road and Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg with ITO. The biggest beneficiaries will be people coming from the Pragati Maidan metro station as it has direct access to the skywalk and can easily walk to all connected regions. The bridge also has a canopy of huge white rings encircling the entire pathways which are made of red sandstones and is built at a cost of Rs 54 crore.

However, the Skywalk has become a newly-found venue for political fights between the Central government and the AAP-led Delhi government as both had agreed that the Centre would provide 80% funds and the state will chip in remaining 20% to build the foot-over bridge at ITO. But Puri accused the Delhi government for not giving clearance to the funds on time and hence leading to a major delay in the construction of the skywalk.  While the Delhi government issued a strong denial and said it had released funds for the project immediately, proving it a written document showing the timely sanctioning of the funds.

1